After the Storm

There's supposed to be this calm after a storm passes.  That's what they tell you anyway.  

But I've never really experienced that.  

That's bullshit.  

There is no calm after the storm.  There is only stress and debris and things to be done.

I ended up being assigned to the A Team and as such was at the hospital for the entire storm.  We were literally locked in from Saturday night until everything was deemed "all-clear" on Monday afternoon.  During this time, while things weren't all business-as-usual in the hospital, they weren't too crazy.  There was electricity and air conditioning and food and even wifi.  There was this can-do spirit of camaraderie, like no matter what, we were all in this together.

When the all-clear was called, we didn't really know what to expect outside.  

Was it going to be terrible?  Was there going to be massive flooding?  Lots of damage?  Dangerous conditions?

It turned out, for the most part, that none of those things were true here.  

We were lucky.  

And with natural disasters, that's what you hope for- luck.

Because all the preparation in the world can't make your home rise out of flood waters or clear that 100-year-old oak tree from your roof or fix any of the thousand unforeseeable disasters that happen during a storm.

You prepare, but you hope for luck.

A friend of mine asked me, after the storm, if I felt like we'd over-prepared and overreacted.  I didn't even have to think about my answer, "No," I replied so quickly he laughed.  

No, I don't think we over-prepared.

No, I don't think we overreacted.

Because although we were lucky this time, not everyone was, and next time that could be us.  

After the storm there is no calm, there is only the lucky and the unlucky, and the things that need to get done.

Popular posts from this blog

The (Alternative) Commencement Speech*

Go ahead and stick a fork in me, I'm done

Talkin' funny

Life is hard and things are shitty sometimes