Both are True


 "And I'll ask you what you think because your thoughts and words are powerful"
-"Loose Lips," Kimya Dawson, 


     " ...if you ever hear someone
     Say you are huge look at the moon, look at the stars, look at the sun
     Look at the ocean and the desert and the mountains and the sky

     Say I am just a speck of dust inside a giant's eye

     I am just a speck of dust inside a giant's eye"
                   -"I like Giants," Kimya Dawson


These songs are from the same album, but usually I don't get a whole album stuck in my head all at once.  

Lately though, that first quote keeps popping into my head.  It feels relevant to me right now on a big public all encompassing sort of scale.  Like maybe we all need to be reminded of it today and every day for the foreseeable future.  

Repeat after me.

Your thoughts and words are powerful.  Your thoughts and words are powerful.  Your thoughts and words are powerful.

Keep saying it to yourself until you know it, deep within you to be true.  


YOUR THOUGHTS AND WORDS ARE POWERFUL.

And because your thoughts and words are powerful, you've got to make sure that you're using your powers for good.  

Try not to be a jerk- people are paying more attention that you think.




Whenever I think of that first lyric though, I always think of the other one too.  And it's true, too.  And it also bears repeating.

I am just a speck of dust inside a giant's eye.  I am just a speck of dust inside a giant's eye.  I am just a speck of dust inside a giant's eye.

I AM JUST A SPECK OF DUST INSIDE A GIANT'S EYE.  

We're all just specks of dust in the giant's eye that is the universe.  

In the overall scope of things, we are small, tiny, infinitesimal even.  And with that in mind, maybe the nonsense matters a little bit less.  Maybe things aren't so bad when you consider just how little a speck of dust in a giants eye is.  It's very freeing to consider yourself and your troubles so tiny.




We can be incredibly powerful and incredibly unimportant at the same.  Maybe that's just the duality of being human.  We have to wrestle with that, and walk that line of recognizing the important bits and letting go of the rest. 



Listen to "Loose Lips," here.

Listen to "I like Giants," here

Popular posts from this blog

The (Alternative) Commencement Speech*

Go ahead and stick a fork in me, I'm done

Talkin' funny

Life is hard and things are shitty sometimes

Faking it