Go ahead and stick a fork in me, I'm done

There is an intensive pre-med framework in place at UF.  There are counselors specifically dedicated to students in the pre-med track.  These counselors pretty much direct you in everything that you need to do to get into medical school from the moment you set foot on campus and declare yourself to be "pre-med."  That was a problem for me, because at no point had I considered myself to be "pre-med," let alone declared myself "pre-med."  I spent half of undergrad with the plan of becoming a forensic anthropologist.  It wasn't until I spent some time in the bone lab that I realized living and breathing humans were the ones for me.

Once I decided medicine was going to be the right path for me, I made an appointment to see the pre-med counselor.  I figured the counselor would be able to give me some good advice.  The meeting started out fine.  She told me what remaining classes I'd need to take and that I should probably get some research experience.  Then she told me that I was going to need to do some sort of post-grad in order to get my science GPA up.

This was news to me.  I had never heard of a science GPA until that point.  I knew that it wasn't great that I had made Cs in physics, but I didn't think it was the end of the world, I had passed the classes on my first attempt.  I was wrong, it was definitely the end of the world.  She assured me that with my current science GPA there was no way I was getting into medical school.  She was emphatic on this point.

There was nothing to be done, unless I wanted to repeat classes or do post-grad.  She just kept telling me over and over that those were my only options- repeat or post-grad or give up.  I was upset.  My eyes started to well up.  I was overwhelmed with this idea that I should give up before I had even gotten started.  Eventually, I got it together enough to ask some question I don't remember, to which she replied that she was an expert in medicine because her "husband was a doctor."

I should have walked out at that point, but I didn't.  I sat there for a while longer, letting her tell me how I was too stupid to ever get into medical school.

And, you know what?

She was right.  I refused to repeat any of those classes for better grades and I didn't get a post-grad degree and I didn't get into any American medical schools.

At that point I was pretty low.  I was miserable, heartbroken, and deep under the porch.  Finally, I had figured out this awesome thing I wanted to do and was told it was impossible.

I heard that horrible woman's voice in my head for a long time telling me what a piece of shit I was, how I was never going to make it, how I might as well give up.

But I didn't give up.  It simply isn't in me to quit.

Yesterday, I found out that I passed my last board exam of medical school.  And in 6 weeks I'll be completely finished with medical school.  At this point, you can go ahead and stick a fork in me, cause I'm done.

So, I'd just like to take a moment and offer that horrible counselor a piece of advice of my own: Yes, your husband may be a doctor, but that doesn't make you enough of expert on medicine to crush someone's dreams.  My dad is a mechanic, but I don't think that qualifies me to work on your brakes....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The (Alternative) Commencement Speech*

Five-Year Plans

Talkin' funny

After the Storm