A latin boyfriend, a dozen babies, and some other weird stuff

My Great-Uncle Talmadge called to wish us all a Happy Thanksgiving and check in on us the other day.  He asked me lots of important questions about my rotation in Miami like whether I'd found myself a nice Latin boyfriend or not and how I'd liked the rotation.  He then proceeded to ask me what sort of doctor I wanted to be (something people ask me all the time).  I told him I still didn't know, but that I for sure don't want to be an OBGYN.  He laughed and said I'd already told him that.  My great-uncle, a sweetheart that I talk to maybe twice a year, remembered that I'd already told him before the rotation that I didn't want to be an obstetrician...  That should give you some indication about my feelings on OBGYN.  In some ways, the rotation was less bad than I expected (the whole birth/delivery process) and in some ways it was just as bad as I expected (babies always seem to want to be born at midnight, after teasing you the entire day that they MIGHT COME NOW so you must BE READY).  I got a lot of texts this rotation that involved the words: NOW, ASAP, QUICKLY.

Most of the stories I would love to tell you about this rotation I can't share because of patient privacy or basic standards of professionalism, but some ridiculous shit did happen and I want to share it.  (I'll cover my ass here and say that I may or may not have made some of this list up)

Ridiculous/Weird/Crazy/Interesting/Awesome things from my OBGYN rotation

1. I saw a dozen babies be born
2. On at least two occasions the nurses mistook me for the midwife and tried to get me to deliver babies
3. A medical professional grabbed my boobs in the OR while we were all in sterile gowns and gloves (it was sort of weird, but sort of relevant to the moment)
4. The first circumcision I saw was at 2AM  when I had been awake for something like 18 hours (there was absolutely no need for it to be at 2AM.  No. Freaking. Need.)
5. Once, on the way to a delivery I got cut off in traffic and I had a Miami-response (shouting, waving hands, honking a ton) only to get to the hospital to discover it was the doctor that cut me off- since she'd lived in Miami a while she didn't hold a grudge about my response to her bad driving.
6. Within minutes of my arrival on my first day I saw a very petite woman throw furniture.  Like a big procedure chair.  Across the room.  And the couch.  And a computer.  And a phone.  And another chair.  And the desk.

There are probably more things I'll remember later.  Now, I'm not saying I had a bad OBGYN experience, just that it was for sure interesting.  And I sort of hope all my rotations won't be that sort of interesting.

;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The (Alternative) Commencement Speech*

Go ahead and stick a fork in me, I'm done

Five-Year Plans

Talkin' funny

After the Storm