No Man is an Island

There are about one hundred of us and we spend about 8 hours a day with each other 5 days a week.  Between us, a lot of life happens.  It seems like by the time we hit the half-way mark every semester there has been entirely too much going on.  Sometimes as I hear myself telling people back home the day-to-day happenings here, and it doesn't even sound real to me.

We've had family members born and family members die.  We've had classmates struck down with sudden illness and we've had classmates wiped out by stress and exhaustion. Yet, we've seen people come together to form lasting relationships amongst all of this.  At the end of the day, that's what gets us all through: we rely on each other.

It shakes me up sometimes, how many big and scary and sometimes wonderful things happen here.  This is my real life.  These people are MY PEOPLE.  And the big things that are happening to them are just as likely to happen to me and that is terrifying.  But I breathe and  know that everything I need to deal with I can manage with a little help from my friends.

This keeps coming to mind, so I thought I'd share it with you:

No Man Is An Island

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

-John Donne

Every single day here I realize that I am no island and I am grateful that I'm not.




Popular posts from this blog

The (Alternative) Commencement Speech*

Go ahead and stick a fork in me, I'm done

Talkin' funny

Life is hard and things are shitty sometimes

Faking it