Sing-a-longs and soul food

If I think too much about all the things we're missing here, I'll go crazy.  The delicate balance I have in my mind between crazy and not crazy will get overwhelmed and then there's no telling what might happen. 

Things I try not to think about: the internet never works, we only seem to have hot water every other third Tuesday (not kidding), there was a rat in the kitchen that died and no one noticed but my roomie so it was there for days, the mosquitoes are eating me alive, nothing is open on Sundays, nothing, the bus only runs like twice a day and not at all on Sundays, a worm came out of the tap the other day, and the sugar ants have invaded our room (even though there is nothing for them to eat).

Then, there are days like today.  Days where I get to sleep in and then go to the coffee shop (which is only open from 11-2).  Days where I get to join in with my classmates on impromptu acoustic guitar sing-a-longs.  Days like Thursday where my friends make me delicious food and let me use their oh-so-hot shower.  Days like yesterday where someone takes two hours to teach me the stuff I missed in histology this week because I didn't feel well. 

I just keep trying to tell myself that all the good things absolutely positively outweigh the not-so-good things.  I just keep telling myself that sing-a-longs and soul food will keep me going.

Popular posts from this blog

The (Alternative) Commencement Speech*

Go ahead and stick a fork in me, I'm done

Talkin' funny

Life is hard and things are shitty sometimes

Faking it